reSolve to rEvolve

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Should I Be Worried??



...or impressed? Artwork for 4 year old can be rather repetitive. I personally own about 500 pictures of houses with rainbows and trees with tree swings. I can be brushing my teeth, feeding the baby and making coffee and still "see" what J has just drawn.

So it took me and my husband by surprise yesterday when this latest offering was put before us yesterday. Eerily reminiscent of Edvard Munch's, The Scream, yes? What makes a 4 year old draw this kind of angst? Too little sun? Too much Coldplay and Snow Patrol? A little sister whom she loves and yet is jealous of? A mom who thinks she can brush teeth, feed baby, make coffee and see art? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I chose to laugh, gave her a big hug and googled the Scream to show her how she draws like a famous artist.

"Oh yeah, I've seen that picture on Little Einstein's, mom." Hmm, maybe cartoons aren't so bad.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not worried, just glad she is expressing herself through art! :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Did you get all Freudian and ask her how she felt when she drew it? =)

I don't think you should be worried - it's quite cool, actually.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jackie Sue said...

Great drawing, especially when you consider that most kids that age draw the heads with feet coming out of them, and omit the body alltogether. Quite advanced, I'd say. :)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M,
Just remember girls with goth makeup and NIN (can't make that N back'ard) stickers on their car grow up to be psychoanalytic moms with the best of intentions...
say Hi to "Hero" I miss him,
Mattybmoving.blogspot.com

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, this is may 1st visit to the blog. E gave me the address today.
matty b

8:39 AM  
Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

I love the greenish hair. Very creative.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home