reSolve to rEvolve

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

I officially have baby brain. All of those lovely little synapses that should be firing away right now are getting circumvented by inner debates over bunting bag safety in carseats (shower cap style vs. Bunting bag because coats and snowsuits are a no no!) and other such quandaries while in the back of my mind I am hearing "In my day we didn't even have carseats, we just threw you all in the back!" Lest I try to relax a bit about these decisions, I now have my mom, who has become a baby safety expert--perhaps to atone for aforementioned laissez-faire car safety in her day-- calling to make sure I know that bumper pads are now a no no (mesh is best), sippy cups are for losers (rotting teeth anyone?) and I have forgotten the 3 other major mistakes people make to mess up their kids. She means well, and truth be told, I am scouring the internet for this type of stuff too because with an almost four and a half year old, I feel a bit out of practice with the whole baby routine.

I am heading back to Babies R' Us today to return yesterdays bunting bag because although I had been reassured it was safe, and although I had decided to just get the one I liked the best and although the lady in the store said she adored hers, my husband (who has thus far remained conveniently busy during all of these decisions) said, " Couldn't that flap blow up over the baby and suffocate her?" Clearly I am taking it back for the other one.

All of this minutiae is actually a welcome diversion from the real issue in my brain, which is the fact that my little babe has decided to lay sideways instead of head down and that in addition to being wildly uncomfortable, I am worried about how this delivery will play out. Advice to moms to be: step away from the computer! When faced with the decision to google or not to google your latest prenatal issue, just say no!

So despite my brain fog, there are a few tidbits I am picking up from the outside world currently... it seems to me that we could rid the world of quite a few problems if we just threw all politicians, actors, and priests/pastors into rehab, where they go when they majorly screw up so they can address their "diseases" (namely passing the buck). Why not put them there before they slander, molest, or drive? Or maybe someone could actually take responsibility for making crappy decisions. Yes, I know there are many pastor/priests who are good and there are probably a handful of actors and perhaps a politician, but this "going to rehab" trend is getting old. Going because you get caught is different than going because you have a problem.

I don't know what is causing all these school shootings and I won't pretend to. It is very scary though and it makes me want to fly back to Hawaii to stick my head in the sand. If you've read any of my previous posts, When Feel Good Ceases to Feel Good, addresses my proclivity for mindless fluff reading after J was born and from the looks of things, I am headed for fluffville once again.

On a side note, I started this blog to get myself writing again. I have about 457 half filled or even quarter-filled journals and I thought it'd be easier to just have a place to blog. I chose a template and started writing. I am feeling a bit like the kid at school with the fake izod though. I don't know how to link to previous posts, how to make Html shortcuts, how to stray beyond my staid little template etc. So, if anyone has suggestions, resources, or remedial instructional websites, please let me know!! I will probably never have a cute, flashy blog because I am about to have a baby and therefore negotiate every trip to the bathroom with a new ruler to my universe, but perhaps some minor aesthetic improvements can be made...Suggestions?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said. The internet, while great for some things will cause one to read stuff they didn't need to know. Too much information can sometimes be a bad thing because anyone can post anything, so who knows if what they say is true?
I agree completely on this whole "rehab" thing. It's a way for people to hide from what they've done and blame it on alcohol or drugs. This is a country of people who do not take responsibility. It's sad and getting worse.
I wish I could tell you how to spruce up your blog, but I'm clueless. I like it just he way it is! :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jackie Sue said...

1) I loved the beginning part about the dichotomy between the rules thrown at us re: child safety and the ways we are most certainly going to kill our children if we give them dairy before 12 mos old, and the opposing older relatives who tell us to screw modern society and just give them whole milk, cheese, and some cod liver oil while we're at it because, hey, that's how THEY did it. :)

2) My sister Rachel (Mimsies) does like all of my editing and showed my how to link things on my blog. She's coming over Thanksgiving and is going to give me a tutorial about templates and backgrounds. If you have any questions, ask her! BTW, your blog is fabulous just how it is. :)

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you even imagine life before Google?

Seriously!

It's like trying to imagine life before telephones or electricity.

The problem with the internet, unlike published books, newspapers and magazines, is that there is no accountability system for accuracy of facts. You don't have to footnote or prove anything on the internet.

The whole Foley thing makes me so angry. A hypocritical politician? What a surprise!

I don't get politicians at all. They all seem to be such narcissists and creeps. Where are our Nation's leaders? I can't think of a single one that I like and that makes me sad.

7:02 AM  
Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

My oldest was sideways for a long time. Her head eventually went to the right place, but the rest of her body didn't feel like joining it. That was fun. ;-) It all worked out, though, and she is a completely normal, intelligent kid. Well, except for the fact that she wants to major in swashbuckling when she goes to college. ;-)

I like your blog, too. Don't worry about linking back to previous posts. I know how to do it, but most of the time, I'm just too lazy. haha

9:12 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for offering my services, Jackie. Actually, I don't mind helping if you have questions.

I hear you on the rehab thing. Rehab has become nothing but a PR scheme these days. It's ridiculous! I mean, look at Robin Williams, who is being lauded in the press for going to rehab to proactively combat his alcohol problem. It's fine if he wants to open up about this - but guess what? He has a movie coming out NEXT WEEK! Shocker. It's all publicitiy, I tell ya.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to be part of the 457! Thank you for the smiles & tears today!! Keep writing Mags!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home