reSolve to rEvolve

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Mindfulness



Here is a drawing of what my daughter currently misses most: her best friend and her tree swing. We don't have the right kind of tree for the swing :(

I have been reading The Road Less Traveled* by M. Scott Peck M.D. and am really finding it interesting. The first sentence of the book is "Life is difficult." If you are someone who still thinks that an easier life is just around the corner when only you have attained_______, or married________, or __ number of children etc., then this book is not for you. It sounds like a downer yes? But I am finding that it is actually a rather uplifting read. It focuses on people's tendencies to avoid the pain of change and how that actually will thwart growth and keep the person from living fully.

Mindfulness is a theme that keeps popping up in various books, magazines and even in my yoga practice and I don't think that it is just a trendy catchphrase. I think that being attentive to each activity or person that you encounter can be life changing--and it is so difficult! My daughter lets me know in no uncertain terms when I am not listening well to what she is saying. There are going to be times when I can't give undivided attention to her, but there better be a wealth of times for us to draw from when I have listened well and she has felt truly heard or we will both miss out.

A big part of the book centers around the theme that love is action and that procrastination=lazy=the opposite of love. This was interesting to read because Dr. Peck doesn't see procrastination as just a personality trait, but as a failure to love. Procrastinators have a failure of discipline he argues, they refuse to delay gratification when they choose the easy path, they rob themselves of joy and of fulfilled living.

The book is engrossing, and I am still processing what I am reading. If you are in the mood for some self-examination and not afraid to challenge yourself, pick up a copy. Namaste.

* (for grammar buffs, remember that there is no underline setting in Blogger, I will try to remember to import from Word)

4 Comments:

Blogger ali said...

i need to pick up a copy! oh my, how it hits home.
and i agree, good gracious quite the arteeest. and you- art therapist. very nice, indeed.

7:23 PM  
Blogger brian said...

okay - i'm no code monkey, but it seems that with Blogger, the only way to underline is by turning that (book title - or whatever needs to be underlined) into a hyperlink?

Like this here.

For better & more info, go here: http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/
and look at the first thing under the Links header

9:02 AM  
Blogger brian said...

That way, you can link them book titles to their Amazon.com page... so that all your users can link to it, buy it, and share along with your reading experience! How completely cheesey is that?!?!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Margaret Ann said...

Thanks Brian! I will try that next time. I am really new at all the technical aspects of this stuff.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home