reSolve to rEvolve

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Parental Petition

Parents, it is often said, resume a churchgoing life after having children in order to provide structure, to instill their faith (as if instillation was possible) and because it sets a good example. Many of my friends and I went through our 20s by the seat of our pants and rarely set foot in the churches of our upbringing. The "setting a good example" theory may have some truth to it, but I think the reality is a bit more complex.

Parenting is daunting. From the very first day on the job I realized that I had very little power over anything. Yes, I could boil each pacifier, buy the safest car seat, ask my friends about the best butt balm for diaper rash, and micromanage our schedules down to the nanosecond to ensure the most optimal sleep for everyone, but the reality is that I am not in control. That realization is both terrifying and freeing.

Our baby bird is ready to start school. I could sing her praises for hours--it's my job to feel that way I'm her mom--but I can also tell you that I am acutely aware that how she clicks with her teacher, her new classmates and this new environment is so important. We received a letter from her teacher requesting that we sit as a family and write down some information about J that we'd like the teacher to know. The questions ranged from "what do you like to play with?" to "how does your child respond to discipline?" I appreciate this assignment. It shows that the teacher wants to know about each child, but how on earth to describe a child like J? She is both quiet and loud depending on how comfortable she is. Her mind makes associations that neither I nor my husband would make. She is obsessed with maps, state flags and globes--this does not make her weird, it is just that all of her friends have scattered from Japan to Norway and she needed something concrete to deal with it.

At four she is so clearly her own little person and it is a person whom I love completely. My greatest hope/wish and yes these days, in the middle of the night, prayer is that she thrives in her new environment. It is a prayer that God is hearing in surround sound right now all over the world "Lord, make this a good year for my daughter*. Give her a teacher who understands and loves her and please bless her with wonderful friends."


*obviously half of the world is praying for sons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie Sue said...

What a great post. I only have a 10-month old, but already pray for him everyday as he learns something new and as I catch a small glimpse into his hugely developing character. How did the assignment go for your little 4-year old?

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home