reSolve to rEvolve

Thursday, September 21, 2006

They Write the Songs That Make the Whole World Sing

Generally, I am not a huge cable TV fan. I have about a million channels and nothing is ever on. For the first time in my life I have Showtime and about 10 variants thereof, but I have yet to see anything. MTV and VH1 never have music on--I don't even know how they call themselves music channels. It is all mindrot, and I am bored with it. I will make exceptions for Disney (love the Little Einsteins),Nickelodean (ditto Dora and Diego), and Bravo (Project Runway).

I have come to love IControl movie rentals however. You can order off the TV, never have to take it back and you can still manipulate the movies for 24 hours as you wish i.e. pause to take the 5 restroom breaks that a preggo girl needs.

The other night I rented Neil Young's Prairie Wind. I expected a documentary, but what I got was a concert. That was ok with me. I love Neil Young and I was thrilled to see Emmylou Harris singing alongside him. This particular album was made in a brief span of time in 2005 when Neil Young had been diagnosed with a life-threatening aneurysm and was awaiting a dangerous procedure to fix it. The music is steeped in the consciousness of mortality. "It's a Dream" is a beautiful song that makes me both sad and incredibly happy to be alive. It is the type of song that pulls me out of my own head and illuminates the world around me. This is the type of song that can make one resolve to not waste another minute of life because it is so precious.

Today, I just want to send a little shout out to artists who make me feel. I will admit that I am jealous as hell of musicians, writers, poets, dancers, and anyone who transcends the ordinary.
I know, I know, they often lead miserable lives which in turn fuel their art, and I am not wishing for misery--I actually quite like happiness, thank you very much, but art is powerful. Powerful because it is a mutual creation. I have no idea if anyone would have the same reaction to "It's a Dream" that I do. It might be construed as melodramatic, or ho-hum to some, but it moves me, and for that I am grateful. I laugh to myself a bit when my daughter shouts from the backseat that she wants to hear Coldplay # 2 (which is "In My Place," from A Rush of Blood to the Head ). She sings along word for word and she is moved. She gets it at 4. Actually, I think all kids get it, some just forget it as they grow up. Happily, I am married to a man who gets it too. I don't really understand people for whom the arts don't appeal.

I love all types of music, some happy, some sad. I feel lucky that I don't have to stick to a certain genre or risk ridicule. I think I mentioned in a post long ago that "End of the Line" by the Traveling Wilburys makes me feel like I can conquer the world--it is like a musical drug. I love classical, I love motown music. I would eat just about anything fear-factor style, to sing "Summertime" like Janis Joplin, "Ain't No Way" (or anything for that matter) like Aretha Franklin, "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones, "Hold you in my arms" by Ray Lemontagne, and I could go on and on. I would do the same to play guitar like Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, or John Mayer.

So here's to the creative types...you make this world more interesting.
what moves you?

6 Comments:

Blogger ali said...

wow. wow. you just made my night. or week. or something of that nature. sometimes i think i'm crazy to be moved to tears by a chorus like regina spektor's first song on her new album, or watching the boys sing with me and stare out the window on "fix you" in the car as they add air instruments in time with the song adding real instruments... and it builds to become a refreshingly breathless moment. or watching the new Christopher Reeve movie that i saw with the boys today, 'everyones hero' and weeping as the last line was said and then silence ushered in the credits beginning with 'written and directed by Christopher and Dana Reeve'... in loving memory of...
and the boys just looking at me wondering why i'm so touched. it was afterall a baseball movie, right mom? but the message in it was brought to life by animation, and it changed the way i saw my today.
anyway, amen sister. and i love hearing you...

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jackie Sue said...

I want you to know that I didn't just READ your blog title, I SANG it. When I first saw "I Write..." I just broke into the song in my head. Thanks for the memory!! Now I have to go read the rest of your blog...just wanted you to know I loved the title!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Jackie Sue said...

Okay, finished reading the blog entry. Loved it. I went to the Coldplay concert this year and was, of course, moved and amazed by the talent at such a young age. Did you know Chris Martin is 29?? My vote for most thought-provoking song is currently Switchfoot's "This is Your Life." ...But I always tear up when reacquainted with my friend "Shiloh" by Neil Diamond.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Margaret Ann said...

Jackie Sue- love, love Neil Diamond. It is a guilty pleasure that my husband teases me about."I am I said", "Sweet Caroline," they are all great!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

My favorite, favorite song that makes me scream at the top of my lungs is Ryan Adams' "So Alive" off his "Rock 'n Roll" album. And recently I've been OBSESSED with Brandi Carlile. You must purchase her album immediately, because you will fall in love with all the songs, but particularly songs 1-4. If I were a rocker chick, I would want her voice. Heck, I can pretend.

My other favorite epic songs are Damien Rice’s “Blower’s Daughter”; Janis Joplin’s “Me & Bobby McGee”; Coldplay’s “Shiver” and “Politik” and “Fix You.” Also gotta add just about anything by Beethoven—particularly the “Fifth Symphony” and “Moonlight Sonata.” I also love “Adagio” by Albinoni (the saddest music on earth). I've also been obsessed with Pachelbel’s “Canon in D” since junior high. I’d listen over and over just waiting for that high note...

And ditto on finding MTV and VH1 so TIRED and ridiculous these days.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home